Friday, September 18, 2009

A Mother's Prayer

A friend of mine was speaking on the Holiness of God and he said this, "God calls us to come out, be set apart, and reserved for Himself, His glory and His purpose. All to often we desire the contrary, to "fit in." And while that's less risky and feels more comfortable, it's there that we miss God's best for us." (Jebo Barnes - Children's Pastor FBC Atlanta)
I had to stop and do a self-spiritual check after reading this. All of us, from the time we were toddlers, want to feel accepted. We all want to "fit in" somewhere. As a mother of two daughters, I have to be honest and say, I do want my girls to be admired and accepted by their peers. But not at the expense of holiness. This is way more easier said than done. I am trying to instill in my daughters the idea that is it OK to be different and that there will be a price to pay for holiness. That is for certain. It may mean some lonely nights and some difficult days, but I know that the pay off will be a blessed life and a life that is pleasing unto the Lord.

Oh Father, I pray that my daughters would be willing to pay the price...that they would have enough spiritual depth to understand that the pursuit of holiness is not the "easiest route." It is not the route where they are going to fit in with everyone else. Yet it is the best route. It is the route that will lead them straight to You time and time again. It is the route that will bring them true fulfillment and joy. It is the route sprinkled with your best blessings. Let them get this. Let them fully understand this. I ask that they would run to the things that please you. The things that bring joy to your heart. And may the run away from evil, ungodliness and things that break your heart. Thank you for being a God who hears our prayers and answers them. I pray this in the Holy, Awesome and Powerful name of Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment