Monday, September 14, 2009

Relections of Summer

We are into our 4th week of school. So far, this has been the best year ever. Meredith is in 7th grade. She has become a young lady and so much fun. She plays volleyball (and can smack it, if I can brag for a moment) and enjoys church, football games and being with her friends. Katelyn, my 3rd grader is adjusting to this "kick it up a notch" school year. She loves to play soccer, create art, and hang with her best friend Maddie. Life is good at the Franzke house.
I wanted to blog today yet wasn't sure what my subject would be. I decided since I haven't blogged since June (what!!!) that I would write about our summer. The swimming pool is closed, the beach towels our carefully packed away, no more sweet smells of sunscreen. However, momma has not quite let it go and still smiles when she thinks about the fun we had. I thought I would share my Five favorite moments with you.
1.) Ben and Noelle's Wedding. My sister came from Louisiana with her daughter Emma. The wedding was held at the Caines Ballroom in Downtown Tulsa. Back in the day, this was the place to be on a Saturday night. It truly was a ballroom. Later it became the biggest Honky Tonk in Oklahoma. All the great Country Western Singers graced the stage. It is an amazing historical landmark in Tulsa. However, on June 20th, 2009, it became a place of true beauty, a house of worship as two precious children of God united in Holy Matrimony. I used to babysit Ben when he was just a toddler. My how time flies. I can't wait to see all that God has prepared for he and Noelle. God is faithful and God is so good.
2.) Beach Camp. Read my June blog for details. I have to say I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am so thankful to have children who love God and who want to worship Him and to experience His will and purpose for their lives. Looking forward to next Summer.
3.) Branson getaways. Money was tight this summer so we opted for a few Branson getaways. My family loves Silver Dollar City. Now, I am not a big roller coaster person, but God gave me 3 individuals who loooooove them. Can anyone feel my pain? My girls had the time of their lives getting me on these big, fast, scary roller coasters. They thought they were so funny. I have to say that I have experienced every roller coaster at Silver Dollar City. Check off my bucket list? Why not? Now all I need is a button that says I have conquered WildFire, Powder Keg and Fire in the Hole. And we can't forget the Giant Swing. (it will have you screaming...Mommy!!)
We will go back over the holiday season.
4.) Day at the Lake. We have some precious long time friends who invited us to the lake this summer. Katelyn had been chomping at the bit to get out there. It is so nice to have friends who have boats. Now let me back this us a few days. On Wednesday of this week, Ed's sisters come in town for Katelyn's birthday. We celebrate with them on Wednesday night with dinner at P.F. Changs. Thursday was her birthday and we head to Silver Dollar City for more partying. My mom and dad come in Saturday to celebrate with yet another dinner. Are you getting this picture. It is the birthday that never ends. Now we are back to Sunday getting ready for the lake. Our friend calls and asks if Katelyn likes chocolate or white. Meredith is sitting at the bar and hears me say...White. At that point she has had it. And I guess we are all wondering when this birthday will end. We get out to the lake, pull into a cove to eat lunch and out comes yet another birthday cake. The smile on Katelyn's face is one I will never forget. It was definitely a moment. Let me talk about that smile for a moment. After we packed up the boat and headed out onto the lake, I looked back at her and took in the look of awe and complete happiness on her face. She had the most precious smile. It wasn't a big smile, and not a little smile either. It was a smile that represented a heart that was completely satisfied. I couldn't help but think, is that the way God smile when He looks at me. I hope so. Our day at the lake was by far a highlight of our Summer. Anybody got a boat for sale?
5.) Mommy/Daughter day. At the end of each summer, I set aside a day for each daughter. I let them decide what they want to do. It is the most precious time and a day that I look forward to all summer. Meredith and I went to Starbucks, got pedicures and did a little shopping. Katelyn and I went shopping, got a Frozen Tong and played games.

It isn't time that is moving so fast, it is us humans. We have to find time to slow down, savor the moments and take in the "preciousness" of the people God has placed in our lives. I am so thankful for a truly wonderful summer. Now I can close this chapter of my life and open my heart to new blessings, new dreams and new memories. This is all part of my journey today.

No comments:

Post a Comment