Monday, March 23, 2009

Putting Away the "Poor Little Me's"

I consider myself to be a news junkie. I guess you can say I just want to be in the "know." I was devastated from hearing the news this morning of a private plane that crashed in Montana. All 14 on board were killed, 7 of them were children. When a tragedy like this occurs, my first thought is for the families who are suffering loss today. How absolutely heartbreaking! Then I begin to wonder if they knew Jesus, and if they did, what was it like to see Him appear in the cabin of that plane, grab them up in His arms and carry them home. Do you ever think about death in that way. I sure do. What a moment that will be!! However, on this side of heaven there are people who are devastated, hurting, maybe even angry from their loss. I know I would feel all of that and more.
I have a dear friend who lost her husband and all three of her boys in a plane crash just ten years ago. Can you fathom in your wildest dreams what it would be like to bury 3 of your 4 children and your husband on the same day? I can not wrap my mind around that. You moms must know this is something you would never get over. Every birthday, every holiday, every milestone that they should have been crossing would not be celebrated. Could not be celebrated. Instead, with each of these events, the pain and the raw emotion is brought back to the surface again and again. It is relentless. Never ending.
You know, when I look at my life, I have to say that I have suffered very little. Yes, I have walked through some dark days, some difficult times. I have worried, cried a lot of tears and wasted a lot of time living in fear. But in the grand scheme of things I have to step back, take a look and realize how blessed I have been. Whenever I get the "poor little me's," and shame on me when I do, I think of Kicia. I then have to remind myself that I really have nothing to cry about. My problems are so small, so trite. And yes, sometimes they are meaningless. There are so many people walking around on this planet carrying pain that is so unbearable, I am sure they have to remind themselves to breathe. I know God promises that He will not give us more than we can handle. I have seen some horrific things that people have had to endure and you know, I don't always agree with Him on this. That's just my human flesh speaking out. I do know this, there is nothing so terrible that could happen to us, that He would not be with us every step of the way. Life brings change, but praise God, His character never changes. He is always good, always loving, and always faithful. He has promised He will never leave us or forsake us. His presence is such a gift. A gift that will never be taken away from us. Remember the story of Job. Thank you God for letting Job's story be a part of your holy word, so we can know for sure you can get us through anything. I believe as Kicia began to discover these truths for herself, that God began to empower her to get up, take steps and move toward His complete purpose for her life.
Kicia is my hero. I love her with all my heart. May we all strive to put away the "poor little me's." Let's ask God, who in my world is really suffering today? Then may we be His hands, His feet, His arms of love. May we be His ears that listen, His heart that forgives. May we worry less, and smile more. May our lives be all that He has purposed them to be. This my friends is all part of my journey today.

No comments:

Post a Comment